Timothy C. Kunkle, M.D., D.D.S.
Dr. Timothy C. Kunkle received both his M.D. and D.D.S. degrees from Columbia University in New York City and completed his residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
During his 6-year residency, he completed a full year of general surgery training with rotations in plastic, thoracic, vascular, laparoscopic, and pediatric surgery as well as rotations in the surgical ICU. He also spent a month rotation with pediatric craniofacial surgery in West Virginia. During his education and residency, he engaged in multiple dental mission trips to countries such as Cambodia and Panama and participated in two cleft missions through Smile Train and Healing the Children in Colombia.
He completed his residency as the Chief Resident of Columbia University’s Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has had great exposure to all disciplines of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and has a full scope of practice. His special interests are in dental implant surgery, removal of wisdom teeth, advanced bone grafting-techniques, orthognathic surgery, disorders of the temporomandibular joint, and benign pathology and reconstruction. During his year as chief resident, he was the recipient of the Osteoscience Foundation clinical observership award granting him one on one training with a leading implant specialist. He is particularly interested in virtual surgical planning improving the accuracy and outcomes in dental implant and orthognathic surgery and was a leading influence in bringing 3D surgical planning and printed guides to dental implant surgery at Columbia University.
Training at New York City’s top Adult and Children’s hospitals has given Dr. Kunkle a strong background in treating a diverse patient population, and extensive exposure in the management of patients with complex medical and surgical issues. He believes in a patient-centered model where listening and communication are important to achieve each patient’s specific goals. He is dedicated to providing his patients high-quality and compassionate care in a comfortable and professional setting.
- Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia University, West Virginia
- Doctor of Dental Surgery from Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York
- Doctor of Medicine from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York
- General Surgery Internship from New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York
- Oral & Maxillofacial Residency Program from New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York
- Diplomat, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Member, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Academy of Osseointegration – District of Columbia
- American Dental Association
- District of Columbia Dental Society
- District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Middle Atlantic Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Southern Maryland Dental Society
- Capitol Academy of Clinical Dentistry Study Club
- Washington Dental Study Club
- Medstar Washington Hospital Center
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Children’s National Hospital